Tuesday 25 June 2013

Farewell, Matt Smith

For those of you that are whovians, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. For those of you who have no idea who Matt Smith or The Doctor are, I would suggest you skip this one, as you'll be completely lost.

Early this month, BBC announced that Matt Smith would be leaving Doctor Who in the upcoming Christmas 2013 special. This was nothing I didn't expect. In fact, I had said to my friends multiple times, "I'm just getting that feeling that it's time for a new Doctor. I won't be surprised if he leaves this year." Then I heard about Season 8 being confirmed brushed my concerns aside, never even thinking that just because the new season had been confirmed didn't mean that Matt was going to be staying on.

It all came rushing back at me when I logged onto the Doctor Who Website to find this announcement staring me in the face. I actually covered my mouth in shock! I quickly read through the article, hoping it wasn't true, even though I knew it was.

You see, dear lovelies, expecting something to happen and knowing that its going to happen are two very different things indeed. I said I saw it coming, and I did, I really did. But you have to understand, the Eleventh Doctor was my Doctor. Statistics say the that majority of people favor David Tennant's Tenth Doctor, and I know more than a few people who favor Christopher Eccelston's Ninth Doctor. Very few people around me favor Matt Smith's Eleven like I do (Do any of you? Let me know in the comments). He was the one that made me fall in love with the show, the reason that I went back and watched from the beginning of 2005 with Eccelston.

So I will be very, very sad when my Doctor dies. I don't expect it to be as exciting as Tennant's. I think that the Eleventh Doctor will be more...prepared. He'll embrace his turning into a new man, because then he might be able to look back on memories of Amy, River, and Rory without as much pain. What do you think?

As sad as I am, I'm slowly becoming more and more excited as well. I mean, this is going to be my first live regeneration! And a new Doctor, that in itself is exciting enough! Do you have any preferences for the Twelveth Doctor? I think that Andrew Scott (aka Moriarty in BBC's Sherlock) would make a good Doctor, but I'm really pretty much open to anybody. I kind of want to not like him (or her!) at the beginning, and then have them be so awesome that I have no choice but to love them. What do you think? Let me know in the comments below!



Andrew Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment